Welcome to a new Vegan Wednesday! Only one week to go, before it’s finally Christmas. :)
I already told you, how much I love that time of the year. The candles, christmas markets, christmas shopping for your loved ones and not to forget: delicious christmas cookies!
You may have already noticed that there are many egg-free recipes for christmas cookies. You if you also substitute margarine for butter and soy or almond milk for ordinary milk, you can “veganize” almost every recipe. I also love to use agave syrup instead of sugar. But this is up to you.
Now I will tell you the recipe for my favorite vegan christmas cookies, called “Vanillekipferl”.
- 250 gr. spelt flour
- 75 gr. sugar (or 3-4 tablespoons agave syrup)
- 200 gr. margarine
- 100 gr. ground hazelnuts
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 100 gr. powdered sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- First, it´s important that all the ingredients have room temperature, otherwise you´ll have a hard time mixing everything.
- Now mix all the ingredients, except the powdered sugar and the vanilla beans, into a nice dough and pack it into some alu foil.
- Put it into your fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C (circulation).
- Take the dough out and form half-moon shaped cookies, they should look like small croissants when you place them on the baking tin, like on the picture below. Don´t forget the baking paper underneath!
- Bake your cookies for 10-12 minutes, but watch out that they don´t get too much color! They should be just a little brown by the time you take them out.
- While baking, mix the powdered sugar with the scratched out vanilla beans.
- Gently turn your “Kipferl” in the mixture, while they are still hot!
If you prefer christmas cookies containing jam, you may probably love my vegan and healthy “Husarenkrapfen“. You can use the same dough as for my “Vanillekipferl“.
Just shape them into small balls and make a little pit inside with the back of a teaspoon. Fill in any marmalade you prefer, I used apricot marmalade with lots of fruit inside. :)
The cookies are best enjoyed sitting on your sofa at home, drinking some punch or vin brulé, while listening to Christmas music and watching the candles burn ;)
I hope, you liked today’s recipe. What are your favorites christmas cookies? :)
Have a nice day!