I hope you like baking as much as I do. I bake quite a bit but I am not an experienced vegan baker. Well, that needs to change. Here is my latest vegan recipe for a vegan ombre cake. I really love the look of these cakes.
They look so pretty! Thanks to Ina for this opportunity to guest blog on Vegan Wednesday. If you like you can hop over to www.genussgeeks.de for more adventures. You can also find me as @genussgeeks on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram Hope to see you there soon!
Recipe for a small 15 cm cake (4 layers)
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 cup soy or rice milk (vanilla flavor works best!)
- 0.5 tbl spoon baking powder
- 0.25 cup agave sirup
- 2 tbl spoons corn starch
- 2 tbl spoons apple vinegar
- vanilla extract to taste
- food coloring of your choice
For the frosting
- 1.5 cups vanilla soy or rice milk
- 2 tbl spoons agave sirup
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 0.25 cup powdered sugar
- lemon zest and/or lemon extract to taste
- 0.25 cup jelly of your liking
- 1 cup vegan butter or margarine
1. Preparing soy pudding for the frosting: take 3/4 of the soy milk and bring it to a boil. Take the rest of the soy milk, mix it with the corn starch and agave sirup.
2. Stir the starch-soy milk mix into the boiling soy milk. It will thicken up. Remove it from heat. Let it cool completely before going on with the frosting recipe.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Butter or oil your cake pans.
4. Add all ingredients for the cake layers to a mixing bowl and combine.
5. Divide the batter into 3 or 4 equal portion (depending on how many layer you’d like to do). Color them in different shades with food coloring
6. Fill the batter into the prepared pans and bake the layers for 20-23 minutes at 325-350°F.
7. While baking the layers go back to the frosting; have a look if the pudding has cooled of completely. If it’s still warm be patient :-)
8. Take the vegan butter and powdered sugar and lemon zest/extract and combine using a mixer. When combined add the cooled pudding one spoon at a time while still beating the frosting. Whip it to a fluffy consistency.
9. Let the cake layers cool off completely before putting the cake together.
10. Spread some jelly on each layer, except the top one and stack the layers.
11. Decorate the ombre cake with the frosting and VOILA!
I hope you enjoyed today´s Vegan Wednesday, don´t forget to sign up for the newsletter to stay updated!
Have a great evening ;)